Celebration at St. John’s, Ashwood

Parishioners and friends from all over the Episcopal Diocese of Tennessee and beyond turned out for the annual Diocesan Pilgrimage to St. John's Church, Ashwood, in Maury County. St. John's is one of the oldest Episcopal Churches in Tennessee, and ceased to be an active parish around 1900. It has been lovingly cared for since then by a board appointed annually by Diocesan Convention. The churchyard is the final resting place of bishops Otey, Maxon, Barth, Vanderhorst, Herlong, and Gates. This year the Bishop was the preacher and celebrated confirmation. He was welcomed by the Rev'd Chris Bowhay, rector of neighboring St. Peter's Church, Columbia. Also joining in the liturgy were the Rev'd Jason Terhune and the Rev'd John Runkle. The service was followed by a picnic lunch under the trees. Click here to read the Bishop's message.