Application for Consent to Remarry

According to the Canons of The Episcopal Church, no member of the clergy shall solemnize the remarriage of any member of the Church unless there is appropriate evidence that the prior marriage has been dissolved by a judgment or decree in a civil court. The member of the clergy must also have instructed the parties that concern must be shown for a prior spouse and any children of the prior marriage, when applicable.

The member of the clergy must consult with and obtain the consent of the Bishop of the Diocese of Tennessee prior to the solemnization of any marriage, by sending a letter along with the Application for Consent to Remarry and a copy of the decree of dissolution of the prior marriage.